Zigbee Presence sensors - Distance reporting, Network Flooding

Zigbee device Development

kkossev

That's rather disappointing news...

I read it this way: Tuya lacks quality control over the applications the different vendors deploy on the Tuya platform. A poorly designed (or poorly implemented) engineering solution can be multiplied many times with each different white-label company that sells IoT products based on the TuyaOS, and there is no easy way to correct this.

Anyone who has commented in this TuyaOs forum has spent a lot of time and experienced a lot of frustration trying to prevent these TuyaOS-based presence sensors from working without overloading the existing Zigbee network, where many dozens or even hundreds of Zigbee devices operate normally—until the moment when TuyaOS spamming devices are added.

It is understandable that such problems may happen sometimes. We are here to try to find a solution together :

• what can be done to ask the vendors to make corrections and provide OTA updates for the mmWave presence sensors already produced and sold to the end customers? Are all these past closed projects, and Tuya has no instruments to ask for a change? (there is a cost involved in such firmware updates, of course..)

• what can be done by Tuya to prevent the same problem from happening again in the future?

tandarra

Re: Zigbee Presence sensors - Distance reporting, Network Flooding

I purchased from Loginovo Smart-Life Store, explained the issue and the fix, with pictures and links to various posts.

Their suggestion was to use the smartlife or tuya app as I have mine in Home Assistant with Zigbee2MQTT.
I followed their advice but there is no difference, there's still no option to turn off distance reporting.

Why is it up to the vendor to push the update to the device ID? I have purchased 11 mmwave devices as 1 worked really well. This is pretty frustrating news.

Because one vendor has the fix, as mentioned all vendors are just reselling your hardware, Is there a way we as the end user can update ourselves if we get a copy of the fix? As that vendor -wenzhi, said they can only apply to devices they sold.

bandito_nl

I agree, this is quite a lame excuse from Tuya, and not the reply your users may expect.

It's quite simple: if Tuya sticks to their position hiding behind the vendors, than that simply means that we can't rely on the Tuya brand anymore, and we will buy our Zigbee products from different brands elsewhere.

That said, I hope Tuya does not want to be a toxic brand, and finds a way to deliver quality to their customers via an oTA or other solution.

kkossev

Well said, I can't agree more.

iot_man

You can add these devices to the tuya gateway, and then send me the device id. Then I will try to contact the developer of this firmware and expect the developer to provide OTA to solve the problem

bandito_nl

@iot_man: thank you! I just ordered a tuya gateway, and I will share the first batch of device id’s with you on Tuesday.

tandarra

@iot_man: Awesome feedback from Tuya. Look forward to seeing what outcome we can reach as a community.

bandito_nl

Just sent iot_man the device ID's (virtual ID's in the Smartlife app?), hopefully the issue will be fixed soon!

iot_man

bandito_nl 2024年 Jul 31日 17:39

Just sent iot_man the device ID's (virtual ID's in the Smartlife app?), hopefully the issue will be fixed soon!

I got it. We will contact the developer ASAP.

tandarra

Have also sent through copy of virtual ID from smartlife app, via PM and Email.
Thanks again